Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 24, 2010 1:00 a.m.

Alarm goes off and at first I think it's a joke.  Mom is mildly coherent.  Has some extra coughing early this morning that's been upsetting her throat.  I think her salivary glands might be trying to kick back in.  Very thick and stringy but there seems to be more tonight then there has been in awhile.  That is possibly a good sign.  Checked her lungs really carefully and they are clear as a bell.   Pulse fine, BP great, no temperature. she gets shaky which is something to keep an eye on but completely normal.   I Administered 4cc's of morphine.  Will check on her again in 3 hours. Morphine affects the central nervous system.  Interestingly enough it is also used to control a person's breathing if they cannot get that under control.  I had morphine once for that exact reason.  Good stuff, I must admit, so she's getting the cadillac of medications.  

Strange time of the day - when I cannot sleep and I'm awake at 1:00 a.m. it feels totally different than when you wake up at 1:00 a.m.  I feel like I should be more creative right now for some reason - like maybe tonight is a good night to write a song.  Probably would be but that would mean I have to put the keyboard up and plug it in and I'm not exactly there right now.

I hope you have the chance to read the other blog entries.  Some have been updated twice a day.  I'll try to update this at each step of the way but no promises.  Mom said she may be open to some photos being taken of me administering medications or food or morphine so we'll see. 

Quiet time of the day - perhaps I need to spend a few extra moments with God on this quiet Saturday morning and thank him for granting me the grace, wisdom and strength to care for my parents. And thanking him for giving me such wonderful parents in the first place and granting me the privilege of caring for them. 

No comments: