Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4, 2010

What a couple of days we have had around here. I'll start this on a positive note - as i type this I'm sitting in the dining room watching dad AND mom make chocolate chip cookies! So that should tell you that this story has a happy ending. :-)
On Thursday night mom went to lie down and immediately went into AFIB (atrial firbrillation). Her heart was beating rapidly and irregularly, she was sweating and clammy to the touch and was feeling dizzy and nauseus. I took her blood pressure and it was all over the place so immediately called 911. They transported her to St Joseph's hospital in West Bend, Wisconsin which is only ten minutes from where we live. They were able to stabilize her by around 2:00 a.m. Around 3:30 as she drifted to sleep I took dad back home to get him cleaned up and rested. We both slept for about 2 hours and then returned to the hospital. They released mom and we drove to Waukesha for her radiation treatment. Amazingly enough her radiology doctor was standing by waiting to see mom and stayed with her during the entire treatment! She also got hugs and prayers from people in radiology and oncology and the cardiologist's office. they all knew what she went through that night and were all concerned. What a wonderful blessing.
So she is doing fine today. As I finish this she is in her chair resting now. She's had her morning food and I'll be giving her lunch food in just a little bit. Unfortunately she has to watch dad and I enjoy the cookies today but she knows that soon enough she'll be well enough to eat foods again.
I'm very proud of her - she's still swallowing water which she says feels like swallowing chards of glass. But she knows that if she stops using those muscles she will loose them and then have to go to rehab to relearn how to do it.
Dad is doing ok. I think the stress is definetly weighing on him but he tries to get through each day. We come up with different ways to help him remember short term tasks.
So I won't get all philosophical in this note, hee hee. I'm to tired for that right now.

No comments: